Are Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

You should be aware that lilies are toxic to dogs, so you can help keep your pets protected. Although poisonings from lilies in dogs are rare, they are still considered to be poisonous to our canine companions, with some cases being lethal.

Here’s everything you need to know about lily poisoning in dogs, including the various types of toxic lilies and the methods of treatment and toxicity signs.

When choosing décor for your garden or indoor plants, be cautious as not all types of lilies are suitable. The majority of lilies can cause uncomfortable reactions or upset tummy in dogs, as they are highly toxic.

Lilies That Are Poisonous to Dogs

These types of lilies, specifically Lily (Rain Lily) Prairie, can cause severe to mild gastrointestinal upset in dogs, and the bulbs of these lilies are the most poisonous part of the plant.

Severe seizures and severe heart arrhythmias can occur even in cases of death, and the heart rate can slow down. If a dog eats the root or flower of this lily, it can lead to diarrhea and vomiting. The Valley Lily, which contains cardio glycosides, is known to be gastrointestinal irritants.

Difficulty in swallowing and vomiting can also occur, along with excessive drooling. Chewing any part of this plant can cause intense irritation and burning in the lips, tongue, and mouth of a dog. Chewing any part of this plant can cause intense irritation and burning in the lips, GI tract, and mouth of a dog. The Peace Lily plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can be absorbed into the skin tissue.

The symptoms of decreased appetite, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and oral irritation can be caused by the ingestion of these crystals. Even just a nibble of this plant can lead to adverse symptoms and exposure to the crystals. Additionally, the Calla Lily contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, similar to the Peace Lily.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested or chewed on any of these types of lilies, take them to your veterinarian.

Non-hazardous Varieties of Lilies

The Nha Trang Oceanography Center is an intriguing destination for people of different age ranges.

While these types of lilies may be classified as nontoxic, the introduction of any novel new foods into a dog’s diet can still cause unpleasant reactions in upset GI.

At the end of the day, it is best to keep any plants in your home out of reach of your pets.

Common Signs of Lily Toxicity in Dogs

If you’re unsure which type of lily your dog ingested, be sure to include the most common symptoms, as the symptoms of lily poisoning can vary depending on the type of lily they got ahold of.

  • Vomiting.

  • Diarrhea.

  • Decreased appetite.

  • Excessive drooling.

  • Scratching the face because of oral discomfort (restricted to calla lilies and peace lilies).

  • Heart issues can occur when consuming lily of the valley.

  • If you notice these signs displaying in your pup, it is time for you to start calling the veterinarian. Symptoms often start within two hours of ingestion.


    The treatment plan will be determined based on the time that has passed since the consumption, the particular kind of lily involved, and the clinical indications shown by your dog.

    In order to eliminate the irritants, your vet might suggest that you provoke regurgitation using hydrogen peroxide if immediate access to the veterinarian is unavailable and you are confident that the ingestion took place within sixty minutes. Before initiating regurgitation, contact your veterinarian and allow them to prescribe the accurate and secure dosage.

    If you quickly get your veterinarian, they can safely administer apomorphine or hydrogen peroxide, which works like an eye drop and induces vomiting in dogs.

    The veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to remove any toxins from the body if ingestion has occurred over an hour ago. Blood work will be needed to evaluate for any potential organ toxicity.

    Additional medications may be given intravenously to dilute and absorb the poison, in order to protect the organs and gastrointestinal tract.

    Dogs in the valley, with the exception of lilies, may require hospitalization for two days or a day in most cases. However, most dogs won’t need to be hospitalized after ingesting lilies.