Casey Anthony Trial

In 2011, the infamous trial of Casey Anthony occurred. Below is our original day-to-day update of that trial.

The investigation regarding Casey Anthony, the mother of Caylee, focused on the repeated lies she told about the whereabouts of her daughter. Throughout the months after her 2-year-old daughter was reported missing in July 2008, skeletal remains were found near her house. The trial of Casey Anthony, which began in May 2011, allowed evidence related to the decomposition of Caylee. Jury selection for the trial is underway.

Taking care of family or working from home, many jurors were allowed to go home for months due to reasons such as family and financial obligations. The judge began to notice that the pool of jurors was shrinking as a result of media attention, and in hopes of finding an untainted jury pool, the process took place with the attention of the media.

The verdict could potentially be swayed by firmly held beliefs regarding capital punishment, along with any preconceived notions about the trial that stem from the media coverage – for example, the responses of potential jurors to various inquiries could further limit the candidate pool.

At this step, in a controversial and prolonged case, the selection of the jury is not only a moment of historical significance but also a crucial aspect of the trial. The judge ruled that evidence regarding decomposition, which was made in the history of criminal investigations, should be admissible for the first time in a Florida court appearance.

In front of the jury, these witnesses were permitted to give testimony regarding this information, courtesy of the judge’s decision. Experts from the University of Tennessee, the institution that houses the body farm, later examined the air inside the trunk to demonstrate the presence of a decaying body. Throughout the investigation, various witnesses, including a law enforcement officer familiar with decomposed remains from the homicide department, detected a scent associated with decomposition in Casey Anthony’s vehicle.

For a complete chronology of the case, visit this link. For information on the jury selection procedure, visit this link.

If you are interested in finding transcripts of the calls made by Anthony Cindy, Caylee’s grandmother, on May 16, 2011, you can find them here.

Body Decay ~ May 16, 2011 For additional details regarding the potential body decay discovered in Casey Anthony’s car, please click here.

On May 23, 2011, Judge Perry stated that the trial, which was anticipated to commence on May 20, 2011, would begin on Monday. During this period, the jury was isolated as the trial was expected to endure for a maximum of eight weeks. In Orlando, Judge Perry intended to initiate the opening arguments in the week commencing May 23rd. Initially, there were fewer alternate jurors planned, but due to various reasons such as financial difficulties or personal biases that the attorneys believed could influence their decisions, a number of potential jurors were dismissed. In addition to the several alternates, a total of twelve jurors are required for the trial. After numerous days of jury selection in Clearwater, Florida, there were still sixteen jurors remaining from the significantly larger jury pool.

During the first week of Casey Anthony’s trial, which began on May 23, 2011, both the defense and prosecution attorneys made their opening statements. The defense attorney, George Anthony, testified as the first witness, denying both the abuse and the presence of death in Caylee’s life. According to her lawyer, Casey formed a lifelong habit of hiding her pain, resulting in her alleged habit of partying at local clubs and lying to her family and friends about her daughter’s whereabouts. The defense theory presented by Anthony’s attorney was that Caylee’s death was an accidental drowning, which resulted in panic from Casey and George, leading to the delay in reporting her disappearance and the finding of her body. The prosecution stated that the only expected outcome was that Casey Anthony killed Caylee, as another theory presented by the defense attorney was that Caylee’s death was a result of her drowning.

The prosecution has started describing the narrative presented by the testimony. Alongside persistently highlighting Anthony’s neglect to mention her daughter’s vanishing after it happened, the prosecution introduced their argument against Anthony with numerous additional witnesses on the fourth day of the highly anticipated Casey Anthony trial, which carried on until May 27, 2011.

Witnesses testified that Anthony showed no change in behavior following Caylee’s disappearance, maintaining that Caylee was in the care of a nanny. However, these witnesses also acknowledged during questioning that when she was seen with her daughter, she did not seem to be an unfit mother or treat Caylee poorly.

He testified as a key witness, stating that he helped her break into the shed to take the gas cans. He also testified that Lazzaro, Anthony’s former boyfriend, knew about Caylee’s disappearance before anyone in the family. He claimed that the last time Caylee was seen was about a week after she allegedly returned home from the shed, where she retrieved some gas cans from the trunk of her car. Later, George, Anthony’s father, confronted her about the disappearance of their daughter, describing the events leading up to the disappearance.

As per the accusation, this is a comparatively uncommon variety of tape that was seemingly discovered on Caylee’s body half a year later. The cans that were given back did not contain any adhesive tape, according to him, and George Anthony had placed duct tape on one of them prior to the gas cans being removed.

On May 28, 2011, the prosecution proceeded with presenting evidence against Casey Anthony, including testimonies regarding the smell of decomposition. George Anthony, who used to work as a detective, claimed to be familiar with this distinct odor. The manager also confirmed having encountered this scent. The decomposition of a human body emits a very distinct and easily recognizable smell, which the manager attested to experiencing. The manager of the towing company also testified about the smell, stating that it was noticeable even when the car was closed but became much stronger when the doors and trunk were opened. The car had been abandoned in a parking lot and towed two weeks prior. The focus of the prosecution’s case was on Anthony’s car, with George Anthony describing the smell of decomposition in the vehicle as he drove it home after it was impounded. The prosecution continued to present more testimonies against Casey Anthony.

The prosecution began addressing Anthony’s motive by attempting to present text messages that questioned the nature of her relationship with her boyfriend, Lazarro, and her desire for a party-filled lifestyle, suggesting that these messages would be excessively prejudicial and show Caylee’s true feelings about her in a way that stood in the way of her desire for a party-filled lifestyle.

To read the complete account of this testimony, click here.

During this period, Anthony’s lawyers suggested that her previous testimony conflicted with these stories, due to her habit of hiding the pain based on abuse. Another explanation was that they were staying in a hotel with a wealthy suitor. Anthony attended work meetings as well as an outing in Tampa, where she was involved in a car accident. There were also explanations involving a nanny named Zanny, who took care of Caylee while Anthony was busy. Cindy, Anthony’s mother, testified that she made repeated attempts to see her daughter and granddaughter during the child’s absence. This focused testimony occurred on May 28th, during Casey Anthony’s trial session on May 30th, 2011.

During the specified period, Leonard Turtora, the Universal Studios employee questioned by authorities regarding Anthony’s employment, also provided testimony, clarifying that she had not been employed at Universal. Several other aspects and details of her statements about him were also false, including their relationship, his occupation, and his place of residence. Hopkins asserted that he was acquainted with Anthony from school, but he did not have any children and had not introduced Anthony to a caregiver for Caylee, as she had asserted. On this particular day, the jury listened to testimony from Jeff Hopkins, an acquaintance of Anthony’s, and from a Universal employee. This was in response to previous testimony suggesting that Anthony had informed friends and family about a wealthy admirer named Jeffrey Michael Hopkins and a job at Universal Studios. The Casey Anthony trial revealed evidence of Anthony’s deceit regarding her employment and her romantic partner. Disputing Casey’s Claims ~ June 2, 2011.

The defense’s claim that Caylee died in an accidental drowning is contradicted by the original statement. Anthony claimed that she was unable to find the nanny introduced to her by Hopkins, who she described as the nanny responsible for kidnapping Caylee. The police were not informed about this claim until after Caylee went missing, as stated in Anthony’s interview and testimony.

This DNA was not linked to an individual, but the DNA present in the hair shaft was also tested. The similarities primarily consist of color, and hair comparisons are never absolute since hair identification does not provide an absolute resemblance to the individual. When the decomposing body started, the scalp still had hairs, which were only seen in decomposing bodies. She also said that the hair from the car contained a mark she had seen in decomposing hairs. According to an FBI analyst, one hair taken from Caylee’s brush resembles the hair found in the car. Multiple witnesses testified that there was an odor of decomposition coming from Casey Anthony’s car after June 4, 2011. The evidence presented suggested that the smell was created by Caylee’s decomposing body.

Caylee, Casey, or Cindy Anthony, including Caylee’s maternal lineage, merely indicates that the hair’s DNA analysis indicated ownership by an individual. The mother directly and entirely transmits mitochondrial DNA to the offspring, unlike nuclear DNA, which remains unchanged across generations. Only mitochondrial DNA is present in the hair shaft, like the one discovered in the car, while hair torn from the root may still contain nuclear DNA.

The analyst described a particular band on the hair as consistent with decomposition, based not only on her experience but also on proven correlation and observation.

According to the prosecution, Anthony employed chloroform to murder her daughter. Additionally, the car’s air samples, which exhibited gases indicative of decomposition, along with other compelling forensic evidence, were presented.

On June 7th, during the prosecution’s alleged testimony, the focus was on the forensic evidence of decomposition in Casey Anthony’s car, where she claimed to have kept her daughter’s decomposing body in the trunk.

Several aspects of the trunk’s odor were showcased. Technicians eliminated a trash bag discovered in the trunk as the origin of the scent identified by witnesses. Inside the bag, a body had been stored, as indicated by a proficient cadaver dog alerting to the trunk. The jury was informed by forensic anthropologist Arpad Vass, who conducts research on decomposition at the body farm.

Prior to suffocating her, Anthony employed chloroform on his daughter, a crucial detail asserted by the prosecution. Vass attested to the presence of substantial levels of chloroform in the samples. These results indicated that the scent in the trunk could solely be attributed to decaying remains. Two of the substances identified in his investigation as relevant to human decomposition were detected in minimal quantities, whereas five were found in the samples from Anthony’s trunk. In total, seven chemicals were discovered. Vass conducted chemical examinations on air samples obtained from the trunk, carpet samples, the cover for the spare tire, and scrapings from the wheel well of the vehicle.

The placement of the duct tape over the mouth was crucial evidence for the prosecution in the foul play case. The duct tape was found over the mouth, holding the jaw bone to the rest of the skull. Caylee’s skeleton was discovered in a field among garbage bags, decomposed after six months, on December 11, 2008. Later testimonies focused on the decomposition signs of a body found in Casey Anthony’s car, while earlier testimonies discussed the length of the tape and Caylee’s skeleton in June 2011.

Today, Dr. Jan Garvaglia, the chief medical examiner, testified that the body was left in a way that indicated foul play, with duct tape playing a role and Anthony’s failure to report her daughter’s disappearance being described as “to rot.”

In the instance, Judge Perry permitted this evidence due to its significance, despite the possibility of it being unsettling and consequently biased towards the jury. Additional evidence would comprise overlaying Caylee’s skull on top of her face to demonstrate the positioning of the duct tape as it would have been prior to decomposition.

The entomological evidence collected from the trunk of Anthony’s car indicated the presence of insects for a short period of time before the body was removed, suggesting that the previous witnesses had accurately indicated the most accurate time of death. He also explained that the species of insects present at the body site in June or July of 2008, before being discovered in December of 2011, further supported this implication.

During the third week of the trial, a highly disturbing video was presented as evidence. The video displayed a superimposed image of Caylee’s decomposed skull, with duct tape tightly covering her mouth, while she was still alive and smiling in a photo.

The prosecution announced on June 15th that they plan to finish presenting their case in the trial of Anthony Casey, with testimony from tattoo artist Anthony Casey, who got the saying “bella vita” – Italian for “beautiful life.” The remains of Caylee were found at the scene where pieces of a canvas laundry bag and a blanket with Winnie the Pooh were discovered. Cindy, Caylee’s grandmother, included these items in her testimony.

Today, the defense will commence with presenting their argument that Judge Perry rejected the motion and the prosecution did not fulfill the burden of establishing guilt – they asserted there was no proof that Caylee Anthony was killed or that there was premeditation. Following the completion of the prosecution’s presentation, the defense requested the acquittal of Casey Anthony based on the grounds that. Motion for Acquittal Denied ~ June 16, 2011.

The examiner also noted the absence of definitive DNA proof on the remains discovered on the adhesive strip. If the bags that the prosecution claimed contained the remains had any openings, it is possible that blood could have been detected due to the decomposition of the fluids released in the trunk. This outcome is to be expected in cases where no blood was spilled, such as suffocation, which was suggested as the cause of death by the prosecution. A forensic DNA examiner then confirmed that there was no blood present in Anthony’s trunk; he utilized an alternative light source to search for bodily fluids and clarified that he did not find any stains on Casey Anthony’s clothing. Forensic scientists involved in the Caylee Anthony case were interrogated by the defense in front of the jury. The defense commenced their presentation of DNA evidence on June 16, 2011.

Court proceedings in the weight of quite carries testimony his, so farm body the of co-founder the is Rodriguez. “Game-playing” for contempt with Baez attorney defense threatening Perry Judge to led and order court a of violation in was defense the by omission The time. Of ahead court the with shared been not had opinion this but remains, Anthony’s Caylee near found tape duct the about testify to forward came Rodriguez William anthropologist forensic First, experts forensic prominent two out brought defense’s Anthony’s Casey entomologist prosecution’s the of claims previous the disputing entomologist forensic defense’s the from testimony After 2011, June ~ Forensics Attack to Experts Prominent out Brings DefenseOutput: The co-founder of the farm body, Rodriguez, carries quite weight in court proceedings with his testimony. The defense attorney, Baez, led to Judge Perry threatening contempt charges for “game-playing” and a violation of court order due to the defense’s omission. This opinion remains, as it was not shared ahead of court time. However, Rodriguez came forward to testify about the duct tape found near Caylee Anthony’s body. First, the defense brought out two prominent forensic experts, a forensic anthropologist and an entomologist, to dispute the previous claims of the prosecution’s entomologist. After the testimony from these prominent forensic experts, the defense launched a forensic attack in June 2011.

It might be necessary to secure the jawbone in place while moving the body. One possible reason for placing duct tape on the skull at that location is that it was likely added after the process of decomposition. This suggests that the tape was not originally placed on her nose and mouth at the time of her death. Additionally, the defendant dismissed the prosecution’s assertion that the duct tape was used to kill Caylee, arguing that the skull should have been opened during her autopsy. He also criticized the performance of the medical examiner in her investigation into Caylee Anthony’s death. It is worth noting that the author of a widely regarded text on medicolegal death investigation, along with forensic pathologist Werner Spitz’s testimony, contributed to the trial’s proceedings. The trial proceeded.

On June 21, 2011, the Casey Anthony trial continued to introduce evidence from relatively unknown areas of forensic science with the testimony of a forensic botanist. The botanist who testified on June 21, 2011, provided an explanation for the plant evidence found at the scene where the remains were discovered, which did not come from Casey Anthony’s car. However, this plant evidence does not exclude the possibility that the body was there for six months, as alleged by the prosecution. The botanist also discussed the plant evidence found at the site where Caylee’s remains were discovered, including the presence of roots growing in the mass of hair, suggesting that the remains could be a few weeks old. The trial of Casey Anthony continued to present evidence from lesser-known fields within the forensic sciences.

The next session was anticipated to be brief. Judge Perry canceled a session following the defense’s efforts to present a witness and the ensuing arguments between lawyers, as their initial two sessions were rejected.

The defense of Anthony has suggested that if Whalen’s story of a possible inspiration for Caylee’s death, including a similar accident where a toddler close in age to Caylee died in a drowning accident, is explored, it could potentially provide a new lead for the prosecution. Whalen, a woman who shared jail time with Anthony in April, had a close relationship with a toddler named April, who died in a drowning accident. Searches for chloroform online were also made on Cindy Anthony’s car.

The defense’s argument was a setback to the testimony as the existence of chloroform could only corroborate the prosecution’s argument. During the examination, he and Vass were unsuccessful in providing an explanation for its presence in the trunk, and the witness clarified that the chloroform discovered in the trunk was unexpected in such a location. The defense summoned a researcher who collaborates with Vass, the forensic anthropologist who testified on behalf of the state regarding the decomposition chemicals he discovered in Anthony’s car. It seemed that one of the defense’s witnesses had an adverse effect. Moreover, this potential setback could harm the defense’s case.

The inverted version of the input paragraph is as follows: For more details regarding the forensic evidence presented during the trial, visit this source. During the trial, witnesses provided testimony about chloroform and hair samples. The hair mass discovered alongside the remains did not exhibit any signs of drug presence, although it was not specifically tested for chloroform, as explained by a toxicologist. According to a forensic geologist discussing soil samples obtained from the Anthony residence, the soil evidence can easily become detached, therefore its absence holds little significance. There was no evidence linking any of the shoes found at the Anthony home to the location where the remains were discovered. A chemist testified that the air samples from the car predominantly contained gasoline, and the presence of other chemicals did not necessarily indicate decomposition, as they could originate from natural sources. Throughout the trial, a substantial amount of forensic evidence was introduced.

The searches she made at the time showed that she was working, convincing the jury whether they found her. However, there was a discussion of some of her work records, which indicated her concern for the health of her pet, who was eating plants in the backyard. She claimed that she had been looking for information about chloroform because of its connection to chlorophyll. It was previously attributed to her daughter that she had made computer searches for “chlorophyll” instead of “chloroform”. However, during the defense’s testimony, Cindy Anthony came forward saying that the computer searches she made were in favor of the defense and were the most important.

On June 27th, Judge Perry called for a sudden recess in the Casey Anthony trial before the jury entered the courtroom and any testimony could be presented. Anthony’s defense claimed that Anthony wasn’t competent to stand trial, citing reports from three experts who had examined Anthony and reviewed the reports of other experts. No explanation beyond a possible legal reason was given for the recess, which Anthony’s defense revealed at the time.

During his testimony, he refuted the defense’s assertion that he discovered the body much earlier and relocated it in order to receive a reward. As part of their final days of presenting evidence, the defense focused on testimonies from different individuals involved in the case, including the meter reader who discovered Caylee Anthony’s remains in December 2008. The trial, which began on July 1, 2011, is nearing its conclusion.

The defense presented a theory in the case, suggesting that the history of being molested by Anthony Casey led her to hide her daughter’s death and lie about her emotions. However, Perry Judge did not allow his testimony to be reported, and they had a difficult time proving this history, as Anthony was only connected to molestation through his ex-fiancée, the witness. Even though the defense never questioned her brother’s claim, she testified that she was only claiming to have been “groped” by her brother, not by Anthony.

The defense alleged that George, Casey Anthony’s father, did not include his granddaughter’s accidental drowning as part of his reasons for attempting suicide. During the prosecution’s rebuttal, it was noted that the opening of the door was found after Caylee’s death, which raised questions about George’s attempted suicide. The defense also questioned George.

On the holiday, the jury will commence deliberation, permitting concluding remarks to be made on Sunday July 3rd, and Perry announced that there would be no court on July 2nd, anticipating completion by the end of the day, the prosecution initiated its rebuttal on July 1st, and on June 30th, the defense in the Casey Anthony trial concluded its case.

Jury deliberations commenced before bringing their arguments together, during the closing statements of the defense and state in the trial of Anthony Casey on July 3rd, 2011.

The defense theory of the case, claiming that Caylee died in an accidental drowning concealed by her grandfather, was deemed illogical. They contended that the objects discovered alongside the body indicated that it was unlikely for a stranger to be responsible for Caylee’s death. They further emphasized the state’s scrutiny of Anthony’s numerous falsehoods during the time her daughter was missing.

The defense highlighted the gaps in the prosecution’s case, which failed to clarify the cause of Caylee’s death and instead focused on highlighting Anthony’s dishonesty and partying in an attempt to manipulate the jury’s emotions and turn them against her. The prosecution claimed that Anthony’s desires for a certain lifestyle were her motives, suggesting that she saw her daughter as an obstacle, but they disregarded Anthony’s explanation.

After the completion of the statements, the jury commenced their deliberations.

On July 5th, they resume their proceedings after a previous six-hour session. The jury in the Casey Anthony trial started deliberating on the morning of July 4th, and the deliberations continued until July 5, 2011.

Casey Anthony was charged with four counts of giving false information to Law Enforcement, but she was found guilty of none of the major charges, including child abuse and murder. After ten hours of deliberations, the jury came back with a verdict of Not Guilty in Casey Anthony’s trial in 2011.

On July 13, Anthony will finish serving her sentence within a week. Perry imposed a fine of $1,000 on Anthony for each of the four charges. Due to her approximately three-year imprisonment and exemplary conduct, Judge Perry sentenced Casey Anthony to one year for each count, totaling four years. This comes after her conviction for four instances of providing false information to law enforcement. Casey Anthony’s sentence will end in less than a week, specifically on July 7, 2011.

August 12, 2011 ~ DCF Determines Casey Anthony is Accountable for Caylee’s Demise. The jury in her trial acquitted Casey Anthony of criminal charges of homicide and aggravated child abuse, but Florida’s Department of Children and Families arrived at a different determination. Anthony was accountable for her daughter’s demise, according to a report released by the department. The report concluded that her failure to take action for a month after the child went missing was not in her best interest – if nothing else, it postponed the investigation that could have resulted in Caylee’s recovery. The report will not result in any additional charges against Anthony and is simply the outcome of the department’s investigation. For more on the story, visit here.

On August 15, 2011, Judge Perry, who presided over Casey Anthony’s murder trial, issued a new ruling regarding Anthony’s case. The ruling states that she is required to undergo supervised probation in Orlando. While in Orlando, she is obligated to regularly meet with a probation officer and is prohibited from using drugs or alcohol, associating with known criminals, or possessing a firearm. The only difference in her probation terms, compared to the standard for this type of crime, is that Judge Perry has decided to withhold her address for her own safety. The Department of Corrections will make every effort to protect her from an enraged public, given her acquittal in July. It is important to note that her probation is not related to the murder trial that garnered her infamy but rather stems from her conviction for check fraud. Anthony, who was once dubbed America’s most-hated person, must adhere to these conditions and regularly report to a probation officer.

Lawyers are currently in motion in court fighting over these total expenses, which amount to $500,000. Based on the fact that she admitted to knowing that her daughter Caylee was dead, and especially considering the increased cost of the search, it can be argued that Anthony’s actions of lying to the authorities about her daughter’s disappearance led to her conviction by the jury on charges of murder. While Anthony was acquitted of the murder charges, it is unlikely that the dramatic and very public trial of Casey Anthony in Florida, which drew out the investigation into Caylee’s disappearance, came as a surprise to anyone. It is now September 2nd, and there are ongoing fights for reimbursement in the Anthony Casey case.

September 18, 2011 ~ Casey Anthony Directed to Reimburse Almost $100,000 in Investigatory Expenses. Prosecutors contend that Anthony ought to be compelled to reimburse these expenses, as the deceit was “interwoven” with the remainder of the inquiry. The defense lawyers asserted that this was an unjustifiable sum to anticipate her to reimburse, particularly given that she was solely accused of four charges of deceiving the authorities. Given the overall expense of the inquiry, this might appear to be a trivial amount to reimburse.

Since September 2008, there has been a hearing to determine that Anthony cannot be charged with any costs after the end of the investigation into the missing person. This limitation restricts her from being billed for any costs related to the prosecution or investigation of any murder. According to Judge Perry Belvin, under Florida law, Anthony can only be charged for costs that are necessary to prove the charges against her that were reasonably necessary.

Judge Perry instructed Anthony to make a payment of $97,676.98, which encompasses:

  • $61,505.12 paid to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
  • $10,283.90 to the Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation.
  • $25,837.96 to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
  • $50.00 to the State Attorney’s Office.
  • The judge granted investigators until September 18, 2011, to submit revised reports, allowing for the possibility of adjusting the total costs. It was challenging to break down some of the expenses incurred by the sheriff’s department to determine the specific work done before September 30, 2008.

    On September 24, 2011, Casey Anthony now officially owes $217,449.23, which is more than double the amount determined in the previous ruling but still less than half of what the state asked for. The expenses reports of the investigation resulted in a new increase, with the sheriff’s office providing an additional $119,822.25.

    On Monday, October 3rd, Casey Anthony attended her monthly appointment with her probation officer in Florida. As stated in the report from the Florida Department of Corrections, she did not commit any violations this month regarding the conditions of her probation. She mentioned that she is still unemployed and does not have any means of financial support. Some of the conditions of her probation involve securing employment, refraining from illegal drug use, and regularly reporting to her probation officer. The report from the Department of Corrections can be accessed here. Casey Anthony remains without a job ~ October 5, 2011.

    Here is the reversed version of the input paragraph: Visit this place for updates on this matter. The judge has not yet made a decision on the issue. A hearing was held on December 8th, 2011, to determine whether she will be compelled to respond to these inquiries. Anthony was questioned under oath for the civil lawsuit in October and invoked the fifth amendment (the right to avoid self-incrimination) 60 times to evade answering questions. Consequently, she is suing Anthony for slander. Although the nanny was proven to be fictional, a woman named Zenaida Gonzalez has subsequently asserted that Anthony’s account has caused significant hardships in her life, including job and housing loss. One of the falsehoods Casey Anthony initially stated during the investigation of her daughter’s disappearance, a lie she was found guilty of in her criminal trial, involved a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez. Casey Anthony Invokes the Fifth Amendment ~ December 8, 2011

    She had already spent three years awaiting trial, and was sentenced to four years, including time served, for being found guilty of four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer during a missing person investigation. The courts acquitted her in 2011 for the first degree murder of her two-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in 2008, but the Fifth District Appeals Court in Florida threw out two of the four charges related to the disappearance and death of her daughter.

    Anthony’s lawyers argued that the two remaining convictions should be seen as separate criminal acts, as there was enough time between the two lies to consider them as distinct offenses. However, the court did not accept this argument and counted these four lies as a single offense. Additionally, it is not permitted under the law to be convicted twice for the same crime, which insinuates that being charged with these two offenses puts Anthony in double jeopardy. Nevertheless, the courts struck down these charges.

    Furthermore, various states have started enacting “Caylee’s Law”. For further details, visit this website.

    Returning to the Library of Criminal Activities