Official Autopsy Report Says Tyre Nichols Died as Result of Blunt Force Head Injuries

Tyre Nichols succumbed to head injuries resulting from blunt impact, as indicated in the state’s official autopsy report. The report was released to the general public on Thursday.

Several days after being taken into custody, Head Nichols appeared to have been directly subjected to strikes as police officers repeatedly and forcefully punched and kicked him. The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras, both on the officers’ bodies and throughout the Memphis Police hospital where Nichols later died.

In the evening of January 7th, law enforcement initially stopped Nichols for suspected dangerous driving. At least one officer also struck him repeatedly with a baton.

Additionally, Nichols experienced “various blunt trauma wounds to the neck, torso, and limbs,” and a medical examiner from Shelby County at the West Tennessee Regional Forensic Center determined the cause of death for the 29-year-old as a homicide.

He also encountered liver dysfunction and his kidneys ceased to function correctly.

All of them have pleaded not guilty. Former Memphis Police officers, now charged with second-degree murder among other felonies, have been fired for their involvement in beating Nichols.

In response to the release of the autopsy, the legal representation for Nichols’ family issued a statement on Thursday, stating that they were “shocked” to hear the detailed description of Nichols’ sustained injuries.

Attorneys Romanucci Antonio and Crump Ben stated, “There is no doubt that this young man was tortured to death by these officers, as the official autopsy results once again emphasize the extreme brutality of Tyre’s deadly beating.”

In the brief summary of the autopsy, it is mentioned that Nichols had received CPR and was unresponsive before arriving at the hospital by ambulance, according to the medical examiner’s notes.

The response to the medical incident in the field has come under heavy scrutiny after video footage from a surveillance pole in Memphis City, released in late January, appears to show EMTs initially not conducting an adequate patient assessment, but eventually receiving some sort of medical care at the scene of the fired Department Fire in Memphis.

The MFD supervising lieutenant, who failed to exit the fire truck in violation of policies and procedures, was also terminated. The MFD employees have appealed their terminations.

According to a doctor cited by the Associated Press, who examined the autopsy’s toxicology report, both alcohol and THC, a component found in marijuana, were identified in a blood sample obtained from Nichol’s at the hospital. The doctor noted that the quantities of both substances were relatively small.

Nichol’s blood alcohol concentration was .049, which is lower than the legal threshold of 0.08.

“Many individuals may experience this common concern after consuming alcohol in social settings, especially those who are legally eligible to drive themselves home.” Dr. Andrew Stolbach, a medical toxicologist at Johns Hopkins Medicine, clarified this.

Officers are captured on body cameras after apprehending Nichols, implying that he was intoxicated.

They saw the first glimpses of Nichols in the hospital following the release of police body camera footage, after he took and shared an image of his unconscious son Rodney attending demonstrations.

Nichols, with a puffy and battered face, is connected to a breathing machine in Wells’ picture, which stands in sharp opposition to typical snapshots of the young man recognized for his effortless smile.

His family characterized him as unrecognizable.