Shooter’s ‘reign of terror’ ends in deadly Tampa gunfight, sheriff says

Shooter’s ‘reign of terror’ ends in deadly Tampa gunfight, sheriff says


A man was killed in a deadly shootout in Tampa early Saturday morning after a crime spree that “spanned several counties,” according to authorities. Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister described the events as something out of a movie plot, but unfortunately, everything that unfolded was true, and multiple communities were victimized by the shooter.

Domestic violence incident

The incident began with a domestic violence situation in Hernando County that later crossed into Pasco County. The victim of the domestic violence incident informed authorities that she was going to Wesley Chapel to pick up her child, who was at her parent’s house following the initial incident.

At 2:14 a.m., the victim made a distress call to the Pasco Sheriff’s Office, stating that she had arrived at her parents’ home. However, shortly after the call, the dispatcher heard screams and gunshots coming through the line.

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco explained that his deputies rushed to the scene as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the father of the child began firing at them, and the victim was shot at her parents’ home. While she was rushed into surgery, her injuries were believed to be non-life-threatening.

The pursuit

The pursuit of the suspect continued through multiple jurisdictions as law enforcement agencies worked together to apprehend the dangerous individual. The chase eventually led the gunman to crash his vehicle into a retention pond off of Hidden River Parkway and East Fletcher Avenue at 2:34 a.m., forcing him to abandon the vehicle.

This prompted a “violent pursuit” where the shooter began firing shots at the pursuing law enforcement officers, according to Sheriff Chronister. As the suspect ran across the street, law enforcement officers closed in on him and repeatedly commanded him to drop his weapon. However, he continued to fire at them.

Members of various agencies, including the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Pasco Sheriff’s Office, Florida Highway Patrol, and Tampa Police Department, all worked together in an attempt to take the suspect into custody.

The gunfight

For four intense minutes, a gunfight unfolded between the shooter and law enforcement officers. Despite the dangerous situation, a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper, two Pasco County deputies, and a Hillsborough County deputy bravely returned fire, engaging in a firefight with the criminal.

While the suspect managed to flee again, this time behind a nearby business complex, deputies followed closely behind. They eventually located the injured suspect on the ground. The injuries sustained during the exchange of gunfire were severe, prompting immediate medical attention.

Suspect’s fate

First responders quickly arrived at the scene and transported the injured suspect to Tampa General Hospital for urgent treatment. However, despite their efforts, the suspect succumbed to his injuries and died at the hospital.

Sheriff Chronister expressed relief that the individual responsible for the reign of terror and victimizing multiple communities over several years had been stopped. The intense gunfight and collaboration between law enforcement agencies ultimately brought an end to the shooter’s violent spree.


The deadly Tampa gunfight marked the end of a crime spree that spread across multiple counties. The incident began with a domestic violence situation and escalated into a pursuit involving multiple law enforcement agencies. Despite the efforts of the suspect to evade capture and engage in a gunfight, law enforcement officers bravely returned fire, leading to the suspect’s eventual demise. The community can now breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that the individual responsible for the reign of terror has been stopped.